The Terms of Service is an evolving document. We may modify our Terms at any time. If we make changes to this policy that materially alter its effect, we will make it clear to you in on the Website.
We understand that Terms of Service pages can be lengthy, boring, and full of confusing legalese. You should continue reading, because if you are using the site, you are agreeing to the Terms. If you don’t agree with the Terms, you shouldn’t use the site.
What is VolttageBuzz?
VolttageBuzz.com is a site for anyone who is wanting more information, resources or a place to learn more about HIV. Although it’s geared towards gay/bi men, we are all inclusive as long as visitors are 100% stigma free.
Discrimination against people who are HIV-positive is real, even among members of the LGBT community. VolttageBuzz is a stigma-free space.
VolttageBuzz is not a porn site. If anything it should be considered PG-13.
LightingVolt LLC grants you a personal, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable and non-exclusive license to use VolttageBuzz in the manner described herein:
You can read, listen to, watch, and intellectually consume everything on the Site.
You can participate in the comments section.
If you are visiting the Site, we ask that you use it in the manner and spirit for which it was created and adhere to the site policies.
You are NOT permitted to:
- Interrupt how our Site is served. Introduce or link to malicious code to the comments
- Assist anyone in misusing the Site in any way.
- Use the Site to violate the law or the safety or dignity of another person in any way.
A lot of work happens to keep the site online. Please don’t be a jerk.
You can browse the Site without being a member. However, if you want to participate and add comments, you need to provide some information and become a member of VolttageBuzz.com.
If you are already a member of Volttage.com you need to create a new account for VolttageBuzz. They are different sites and have different rules.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account information, and you are responsible for all activity that occurs with your account, regardless of whether you have authorized such activities.
If the security of your account has been compromised, let us know through the contact page.
Preventing comment spam, phishing, and other disreputable activity
As with any online community, some accounts might be created with malicious intent. This includes comment spam, phishing attempts, and spamdexing. We do take steps to prevent spammy behavior, but it is impossible to prevent it 100% of the time.
Our efforts include, but are not limited to:
- Comment moderation (we need to approve comments before they will show up on the site).
- Requiring real (and not disposable) email addresses
- Partnering with anti-spam services like “StopForumSpam” and “ProjectHoneyPot.”
If you are prevented from creating an account due to one of our automated security systems, contact us via the contact page and request we lift the ban.
If you are under our roof, follow our rules
We may, at our discretion, suspend or terminate your account for violating the Terms, or for any other reason we choose. We can remove your User Content without any forewarning, for any reason we choose.
We can also remove the content we post on our site, without any forewarning, for any reason we choose.
VolttageBuzz is not a pornographic site, but it does contain information for mature audiences. User discretion is advised. Nobody under 13 may create an account or use any part of the. Any account that is created by a person under 13 will be terminated and any content created will be removed from the Site.
Non-Commercial Sharing with Attribution
Except where indicated, VolttageBuzz editorial-created content is licensed under a Creative Commons License permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution. This means that you may link to it and otherwise share it, but if you do, you need to give us credit.
This site is a labor of love, but it also a lot of work. You may not use our editorial-created content in any commercial capacity.
Don’t post stuff you do not have a right to post.
Anything that you submit or make available in the comments or elsewhere on our site is considered “User Content.” When you make User Content available, you are asserting that you have all the relevant copyright, trademark and intellectual property rights to make that work available or have a well-reasoned belief that your republication of the work is a “fair use.”
You grant us the right to use your stuff
When you submit Content, you grant us an unlimited license to use your content in any way we choose. This includes creative uses such as republishing the work on our ad-supported Website and elsewhere. It also includes practical items, like system backup.
Because our servers are located remotely, so you grant us these rights worldwide and irrevocably. You also agree that we don’t owe you royalties for any use of your content based on these rights.
Third Party Links and Advertising
This Website has links to other sites that are not owned or controlled by us. This Terms of Service applies only to VolttageBuzz.
Use at your own risk:
You are responsible for content you create and the opinions that you express are your own. You will not hold us responsible for any User Content that violates any law or infringes the rights of any third party.
You agree to hold LightingVolt LLC, its officers, directors, employees and agents, harmless from and defend them against any claims, liabilities, damages, losses, and expenses, including without limitation reasonable attorney’s fees and costs, arising out of or in any way arising out of or in any way connected with your access to or use of the Site.
DMCA takedown notice and procedure
We respect the copyrights of others, and we ask our users to do the same. When we reproduce a copyrighted image, text, video or music, we do so only to the extent necessary to comment upon or discuss it; or with permission from its copyright holder; and we always include a link to the original source when possible and appropriate.
We will, at our discretion, deactivate or terminate the account of any user that infringes the copyright of others.
If you believe that your copyrighted work has been copied and is accessible on VolttageBuzz in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please send a notice to our Copyright Agent providing the following information:
- The electronic or physical signature of the owner of the copyright or the person authorized to act on the owner’s behalf;
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
- A description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located, such as the URL where it is posted;
- Your name, address, telephone number and email address;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use of the material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law; and
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
Claims of copyright infringement should be sent to the following:
LightingVolt LLC, Lighting Volt, 3824 Cedar Springs Rd, #627, Dallas, TX 75219
Please be aware that misrepresentations of infringement can result in liability for monetary damages.
If you posted material that has been removed due to a takedown notice and you believe that the material in question is not infringing, you may file a counter notification with our Copyright Agent with the following information:
- Your physical or electronic signature.
- Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled.
- A statement by you, under penalty of perjury, that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled.
- Your name, address, and telephone number, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of federal district court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if your address is outside of the united states, for any judicial district in which the service provider may be found, and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification under DMCA 512 subsection (c)(1)(c) or an agent of such person.
The Company values its privacy and the privacy of all of its users and members. As the Company develops the Site, and introduces new features, we may update our policies and post statements to keep members up to date.
Personal identification information
We may collect personal identification information from Users in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when Users visit our Site, register on the Site, respond to a survey, fill out a form, and in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available on our Site. Users may be asked for, as appropriate, name, email address. We will collect personal identification information from Users only if they voluntarily submit such information to us. Users can always refuse to supply personally identification information, but it may prevent them from engaging in certain Site related activities.
Non-personal identification information
We may collect non-personal identification information about Users whenever they interact with our Site. Non-personal identification information may include the browser name, the type of computer and technical information about User’s means of connection to our Site, such as the operating system and the Internet service providers utilized and other similar information.
Web browser cookies
How we use collected information
Lightning Volt LLC may collect and use Users personal information for the following purposes:
- To improve customer service. Information you provide helps us respond to your customer service requests and support needs more efficiently.
- To personalize user experience. We may use information in the aggregate to understand how our Users as a group use the services and resources provided on our Site.
- To improve our Site. We may use feedback you provide to improve our products and services.
- To run a promotion, contest, or survey. To send Users information they agreed to receive about topics we think will be of interest to them.
How we protect your information
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our Site.
Sharing your personal information
We do not sell, trade, or lease your personal identification information to others. We may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers.
It may be necessary to share information with law enforcement authorities or legal counsel in order investigate situations involving violations of the Terms of Service, illegal activity, possible fraud, or threats to the safety to our members or employees, or as required by law. The circumstances include:
- Response to court orders, subpoenas, warrants, or other legal process.
- To exercise our legal rights to defend against demands or claims.
- During the course of an investigation regarding the abuse of our technical infrastructure, or attempts to breach the Site’s security.
Third party websites
Users may find advertising or other content on our Site that link to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to our Site, is subject to that website’s own terms and policies.
Any claim or dispute between you and LightingVolt arising out of or relating to these Terms, in whole or in part, shall be governed by the laws of the State of Texas, without respect to its conflict of laws provisions.
Credit where it is due:
The inspiration and structure for much of our Terms of Service document came from the folks at BoingBoing.net
Update: July 10, 2103